Competitive + Benefits
Date when vacancy closes
21 Apr 2017
Area of Expertise
The Platform Technologies Team is responsible for the transformation of the technology landscape that underpins Marks and Spencer. The transformation is to new ways of working, utilising the latest application technology and maximising the use of cloud based capabilities.
This involves delivering new techniques and technologies that will makes our engineering teams more efficient at developing and deploying software at pace. These new techniques will be developed and delivered across all areas of IT focusing on improving quality, reliability, continuous delivery practices and overall value delivered to our customers.
This includes (but not limited to): PaaS; IaaS; IaaC; BaaS; DevOps; Continuous Delivery; and focusing on maximising the use of Cloud - AWS and Azure, Cloud Foundry with BlueMix, PWS and others. Platform technology team members are great communicators and collaborators who typically have a software engineering background and a developer approach to problem solving.
The planned transformation to the platform is pushing the boundaries of technology through deploying the latest tools and techniques this brings with it a new set of challenges to overcome the need for lateral thinking and the creation of new innovative techniques.
This role is as an associate engineer to design, build and operate new large scale platforms that are focused on maximising the use of the latest cloud technologies. The platforms will support the deployment, monitoring and day to day running of our core business systems. Participation in a 24/7 on-call rota maybe required.
- A key participant in the design and build of new, large scale cloud based infrastructure platforms
- Focus on maximising the use of automated, continuous delivery techniques that simplify and optimise the landscape
- Play role in delivering the transformation of hundreds of applications to new platform technologies
- Work closely with Platform Technology Engineers to grow your skillset and gain valuable experience and knowledge.
- Support, and contribute to the platform technology roadmaps for technology landscape and transformation timescale
- Build positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders to keep them engaged and fully supported through the introduction of and transformation to the new platform technologies shaping our future culture and ways of working
- Maintain wiki, knowledgebase and other article documentation types
- A degree of knowledge on the technology solutions being implemented and always consider viable alternatives
- Remain up to date with and evaluate the latest technologies to understand their value, potential and impact
- Participate in all necessary business change activity to deliver the new platform technologies
- Play an active role in the Platform Technology community and education - providing support and guidance to others
- Always champion repeatable, supportable, operable, scalable, automated and standardised practices; and the introduction of new tools and technologies that simplify and increase efficiency of both development and operation
Technical skills/business skills required
- Ability to collaborate and work with others,
- Hands-on, technical infrastructure software engineer with a background in Linux or release engineering,
- Understand current software development techniques (API/micro-services, 12 factor apps) and their implications,
- Understanding of resolving major incidents and best practice for disaster recovery approaches,
- Ability to fail-fast and work with a value driven agile approach,
- Ability to self-organise, be pragmatic, inquisitive, challenger and able to make changes for the better
- Ability to define and explain an end-to-end CD pipeline
- Exposure to devops cultures and practices
- Exposure to configuring and managing Linux servers for serving a dynamic website
- Understanding of complex multi-layer, multi-application software architectures
- Understanding of network topologies and protocols - TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL, etc.
- Understanding of container technologies and related areas such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Understanding of deploying and configuring machines in a Cloud environment
- Understanding of designing scalable, secure and repeatable cloud based environments
- Understanding of key cloud platforms such as Azure and AWS
- Understanding of PaaS technologies such as Cloud Foundry and Heroku
- Understanding of the Installation and management of cloud-capable monitoring tools
- Understanding of configuration management tools like TerraForm, Puppet, Chef, Vagrant, Ansible
- Understanding of Continuous Deployment tools such as Jenkins, CodeShip and Concourse