Competitive + benefits
Date when vacancy closes
20 Apr 2017
Area of Expertise
Background to vacancy/ What is the purpose of the job? What do you need to achieve?
If you are an exceptional Software Engineer who has an aptitude for new technologies and loves to push the boundaries to solve real business problems, then we would love to talk with you. Our Big Data development team is growing and we are looking for a Big Data Software Engineer to help us use a variety of Hadoop (and other) technologies to create exceptional personalised customer experiences and solve difficult business problems. This role will be part of a highly collaborative team that is integral to the technical decisions and architectures for the company.
The ideal candidate will have previous Big Data experience building Python frameworks within Hadoop environments to solve large-scale problems. A strong understanding of distributed systems and strong experience in using open source frameworks to build applications is strongly desired. Some technologies we are using include Python, Impala, Spark, Hive, Oozie, Flume, Mule, Apigee, Map Reduce, Jenkins and Github.
A successful candidate will have proven experience designing end to end software solutions, delivering elegant code into a productionised operations environment, mentoring other less experienced members of the team and leading small design workshops.
Technical skills/business skills required
Key accountabilities and measures
- Design, build, implement and maintain generic components for the ingestion, validation, and structuring of disparate data sources into the Big Data platform
- Produce operational ready code that is maintainable by onshore and offshore resources
- Produce standardised coding designs using industry best practices
- Document generic solutions to the point they can be re-used by other members of the team to perform builds
- Interact with the business, architecture or other members of the team to define and refine requirements
- Peer review and test components
- Personable, curious, intelligent, positive thinker, highly motivated, results driven, quick learner, great communicator
- Extensive coding experience including Python
- Hadoop ecosystem (HDFS, Impala, Hive, MapReduce, Sqoop, Oozie, Pig, HBase, Flume, Spark, Kafka) - Cloudera preferred
- Software development methodologies
- DevOps tools (GIT, Maven, Jenkins)
- Prior roles that demonstrate utilisation of high quality Agile development best practices.
- In depth knowledge of at least one scheduling tool (e.g. Control-M, Tidal, Cronacle etc.)
- Preferred - Previous experience developing REST API (using Flask)
- Preferred - Experience working with cloud environments (e.g. Azure, etc.)